Monday, December 27, 2010

My 2010 in records; the albums

Looking back at 2010 in music isn't just "what's the best record this year" for me. It's about discovering "new" music, bands, labels, genres and so on. This year brought me Harlem. I got their "Hippies" record in may and it blew my mind. It also brought me Los Electronicos, a band from Columbia, recordings from 1970 with instrumental arty tunes. I found out about Captured Tracks, a Brooklyn NY based label releasing great bands like Dum Dum Girls, The German Measles, The Beets, The Oh Sees, Fresh & Only's and more. I'm gonna point out some highlights, my highlights that is.

Stats, my purchases 2010;
42% LP, 52% is 7", 6% for 10" and 12".
39% is from '10, 22% is from '09, 5% from '08, the rest is old stuff ;-)
16% of the lot was purchased in may, great month!

Okay, here we go, first the albums.

Black Time - More Songs About Motorcycles & Death
12"EP, 6 tracks on 45rpm. A London based outfit putting out totally damaged bluespunk records since 2004. Their debut lp "Blackout" caught my ear right away and followed them since. The've been picked up by In The Red Records, releasing two of their albums. This release, on Wrench Records, is no disappointment either; hardhitting, harsh, in your face bluespunk. Like the Bassholes, but even more brutal, more rocking.


Jaill - There's No Sky ( Oh My My)
Their "That's How We Burn" lp on Subpop was my first encounter with this Milwaukee based band. Google learned me that they released an album prior to this one, on Burger Records. So I ordered it directly from the label and 2 weeks later... you get the picture. I unpacked the record, looked at it, great cover, nice inserts, digidownload, the vinyl has a nice shine, the needle touches the record... BAM!! Side one kicks off with 3 killer indierock tunes, great sound. It sets the standard for the whole record. Not a turd on this baby. Released in 2009, it would have been in my top 5, but hey, lists are made in december, right?


Augustine Ramirez - Sangre De Indio lp
I bought this album because a friend of mine pointed me to his "Vehicle" track. There's a mp3 somewhere on the internets, I would love to share this track with you, but I can't find it. Also released as a 7" on El Zarape Records. Great latin soul with an amazing fuzzed out psych guitar break!! Love it. Released in the early 70s.




Moonhearts - S/T lp
Debut album on Tic Tac Totally Records, released this summer. Their 7"s were promising, I was really looking forward to this album. Muddy garage rocknroll, great songwriting burried under a layer of mud. This album kicked right in, no questions asked! Fast, drivin' garagepunk with a poppy edge, energetic (duh)), surfin' noise are the keywords for this baby. If you like Harlem, check this record out; it's got more energy and way more punk. On the other hand it's loose like Oblivians, that's a + in my book.

The Anomalys - S/T lp
After releasing a split 7" on A Fistful Of Records and a regular single on Slovenly Recordings this is finally their full length, also on Slovenly. Last year I saw them play live in my fave hang-out in Hoorn, Swaf. They blew my mind with their amazing mix of high energy garage punk rockandroll. Perfectly balanced album from this three-piece from Amsterdam. And for the record, this is no lo-fi, recorded by Nils "Superhelicopter" Westphal, giving it an amazing sound.

I also got my hand on an album called 920 Blues, released in 2001 on Trick Knee Productions. It's a comp with all Wisconsin bands. The reason I had to have it; The Mistreaters are doin' a great version of the Gories' "I Think I've Had It".

I'll stop now, sorry for Golden Triangle, Conspiracy Of Owls, Tim Knol, Myelin Sheaths, Parting Gifts, Psychic TV, Outsiders, Nobunny, Trumans Water.....

The 7" are up next.

No comments: